Our first project was a group project based upon the concept of "Urban". As of now we have completed this project, so I shall only give a quick overview of the project.
It was a paste up project, with the theme of Urban, so after a discussion our group decided to fulfil the paste up part by pasting up sheets of blank, white paper, in the fashion of posters that are put up around the city, then to paper mache some texture onto it to give our background image a more visually interactive quality. Then we projected a short film up on the paste up.
We decided that the people and community of the city were really what made up the "Urban" rather than the buildings themselves, so we while our background is simply a street scene, people are the focus of our projection, people who are individuals, but all part of the community.
Through this project, and working together with the group I was in, I developed my knowledge of the importance of communication between all the team members, and about finding the strengths and weaknesses of each member to utilise the team as a whole best :)
I also found out that I'm useless at using the squidgy thing to flatten the poster paper that we pasted up on the wall :/ I was alright at actually putting the paper up, but I kept getting it more wrinkled when I tried to flatten it and get the air bubbles out :/
I would like to have seen this work actually put up in an urban environment (that's artist speak for putting it up somewhere in the city ;P ) somewhere instead of in our studio - perhaps on a brick wall somewhere, with the background paper just starting to peel off the wall a little - but it was too much work for the short amount of time we had, especially when we were working on other projects for other classes as well...
Because it used silhouettes as part of the projection, it would have been fun to try to make it more interactive by placing it where people would walk in front of the projector and cast their own silhouettes on the background. Also i would rather have had a longer loop and vaster variety of people on the loop, as it was fairly obvious watching it that there were only a few people casting the silhouettes for the film.
I know I haven't really put any good descriptions or photos of the work up, but I shall try to get some photos of it to put up at some point soonish...
No comments:
Post a Comment