Thursday, 21 March 2013

Project 2 - again :)

Isn't it cute XD
It's a bit hard to tell what it is, especially with the not so good lighting, but I spent part of Tuesday afternoon carving this little car - or more specifically a stingray corvette based off the one my friend own - out of wax, using old dentist tools to get some of the finer details and shape :3
I still have a way to go before it'll really look like a good model, but it's a start, and it's good practise for when I do my main pieces for this project :)

I consulted our very helpful head technician about the possibility of casting it myself out of zinc, and it sounds like the whole process might take a bit too long considering how much time we have for this project (about 4 weeks) so i am seriously considering sending any models I make up to Regal Casting in Auckland to have them cast there. It will be more expensive, especially with freight costs included, but it could mean a much better, and possibly quicker, finished piece. I have looked at their website and cannot find a lot of the information I require - like the length of time it will take from sending the wax pieces away to having the finished product delivered back to me - so I will contact them and find out more information, which i will include in a later post.

I have been practising carving the wax, and definitely have a long way to go, but I feel that I am skilled enough, if I can be patient enough too, to complete this project to a high enough standard to both be proud of it, and get a good mark for the small amount that the final work contributes to my final grade.

Here are some process work photos of some more carving practise I did yesterday

 I had two main trials of carving wax, but the corvette was the only one I took to the stage where I can take the next step, in which I will apply a small amount of heat to the wax to smooth out the surface, so I can try to carve some more details in that won't be lost in the light, unintended scratches made by the
 carving tools.








 These are the sketches I've made so far as ideas for my charms.


Sakura Blossom - from buds to blooming to full bloom, to wilting to bare branch.

Sunflower - From seed through germination, budding, full bloom, wilting, and dead, but with seeds.

Sunflowers are quite loud, bright flowers, so could silver or zinc or similar portray the feel of the flowers enough?

6 stages is quite a lot for carving out the wax, and for if I do get them done in silver, maybe less stages is better for this project, even if it will look a bit empty on a full length charm bracelet.
A more developed and simplified version of the cherry blossom/sakura design.

Rose - seed through germination through budding through full bloom through dying/seeding back to seed.

Rose can also symbolise passion/love, and how many relationships bud, bloom and die just as the flower does

No comments:

Post a Comment