Friday, 12 April 2013

Project Two - At The End Of The Day

Uh, so, that went well...
Or not


Over the last week I have been attempting to get my final pieces of jewellery complete - I have been working on three enamelled badges, the first being a seemingly unfinished one, with clear enamel to preserve the colouring of the copper, not letting in oxidise any more.
This, uh, didn't go well, once I had the badge right, I went and put too much enamel on it, making it not only crack, but go a cloudy white as well :/ this is what happens when I'm no good at putting thin layers on.
The second piece was a badge of the same copper, but a size bigger and with black enamel on it's front surface, surprisingly this did go well... It now has a smooth, if not quite even, surface of glossy black glass.
And the third piece, my main and hardest piece started off well, I got the first layer of black enamel down, and carefully cut and shaped the silver wire to create the patterns in the enamel, and it came up wonderfully. Then I put the first layer of coloured enamel on.
Gosh, I believe I will go back to the workshop during the upcoming midsemester break and redo the first and third badges, now that i have some more practice with enamelling, surely it will go better than the first attempt did...
But we do have a peer critique session on Monday, and I do have to have some work to show, so here goes :/
The first layer of colour went down, and the badge must have been on an angle or something when I fired it (I'm sure I did something silly, that could have easily been fixed had I known) and the black enamel filled the space I had been trying to turn purple. So of course I tried to add another layer, to try to get it more purple, and less mottled purple-black, and managed to cover the silver wire on the fish's back entires, as well as blurring the edges of it's fins, so they were rather more like splotches.
Thanks to the tutor, Kay, I have done my best to remedy the situation, but I fear it will never be how I would like to see it. I sanded the enamel back, so more of the wire could be seen, then cleaned the piece and re-fired it, deciding it was as finished as I had time and patience to bring it to.
But that leaves a rather bedraggled looking set to hand in for the critique.
So I will change it, again. I will try to find places that are inspiring, or influential to my work and art, or the development of, and take photos of the third badge being worn, or perhaps held? in those places, and make the series of photos my, uh, "series"...
This does make the narrative a little harder to pick out, as the three badges were originally supposed to represent simplified stages of development, and the third badge and photos are more like the last stage, which I do not really believe I have reached yet.
Okay, it makes the narrative a lot harder to pick out, so listen carefully, and when I put photos of the work up, hopefully you can see it yourself.
The work that will be seen is like the goal, the objective of learning, and developing. It is where I am trying to go. The way I am hoping to set up my work is designed to bring out aspects of this development, as I intend on laying out the photos in a very similar way to how I, and some others in the studio we work in, have laid out our "work in progress" drawings and research as we have developed this project.
Okies, I'm tired, and it hasn't been the easiest day, overall, though the suiter galley visit this morning was very interesting...
More on the tomorrow hopefully :) as well as some photos and what not to help break up this monotonous text.

Laters all    =^.^=

No comments:

Post a Comment